New Culture Minister of the Czech Republic – D. Nixon
After almost two weeks of consideration, Czech Prime Minster Jiří Paroubek has appointed actor and director of the Film Festival in Zlín, Vitězslav Jandák, as culture minister. The other two candidates were the general commissioner of the Czech Republic’s exposition at the World Expo 2005 in Japan Vladimír Darjanin and the former director of Prague’s National Theatre Jiří Srstka. Several significant personalities from the Czech artistic community voiced their opinion during the Prime Minister´s selection. The post of the Minister of Culture was left vacant following the death of Pavel Dostal on July 24, 2005.
(see related article www.theatre.cz)
- born on August 3, 1947 in Prague.
- Graduated from the DAMU theatre academy in 1970
- Became a member of the Theatre on the Balustrade shortly after graduating
- In 1977, he became an actor at the Barrandov Film Studios, and often appeared at the Laterna Magica
- Since 1998, he has been President of the International Film Festival for Children and Young Adults in Zlín, and the vice-chairman of the Atelier Bonton also in Zlín.
More information about the Ministry of Culture of the Czech Republic can be found on their official website: